Monday, June 27, 2011

The pee blanket

Gabriel has a favorite blanket that he has started carrying around everywhere with him. He wraps it around his shoulders and wanders all over the house with it. That way it's at the ready to play peekaboo with anytime he needs it. He also sleeps with the blanket. And he's a super heavy nighttime bed-wetter so he pretty much pees out of his diaper on a nightly basis. It's awful. I've tried everything to stop this - double up on cloth diapers (I even tried tripling up one time - poor kid could barely move and he still peed through it all), different sizes of disposable diapers, etc. Nothing works. So I have to wash his bedding a lot. And since he sleeps with his blanket every night, it ends up smelling like pee sometimes too. I tried to wash it over the weekend but every time I grabbed it Gabriel would see me and freak out and so I'd have to give it back to him. I finally washed it during his nap on Saturday morning. But when I put it on the clothesline to dry later he saw it again and just had to have it. So he dragged his wet blanket around for awhile until I could finally distract him enough to hang it up again so it could dry. So the blanket no longer smells like pee, but it's probably totally dirtier now than when we started since he dragged a wet blanket around the backyard and house for awhile. Is it bad that I still let him sleep with it after that?

Here are some pictures of him with his blanket. He seriously never puts this thing down (especially on Saturday since I kept trying to take it away from him).


2 comments:

  1. man, Silas has the same problem with the heavy pee through the night. I use one size bigger than he wears (so a size 6 now) in huggies night time diapers and change him around midnight, then sometimes again around 5... it's insane! Does Gabriel drink tons during the day? Silas always has something to drink around him, the kid will never he dehydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wet the bed too, and I had a blankie I was very attached to as well. Oddly enough, it was even a green yarn blanket. I freaked out like he did when my mom tried to wash it after a night time accident, and she sat me down and explained to me that when I peed on something, it needed to be washed because pee is icky. She emphasized the icky part quite a lot to teach me that I didn't WANT to snuggle with a wet blankie. I still cried and begged for it back, but she washed it anyway, and I had a total meltdown the entire time, but she still put her foot down and after a while, I came to understand. As for the heavy wetting, in addition to extra-absorbent diapers, there are also different brands of sticky-backed, absorbent pads that can be placed on a bed to save the sheets. All that gets wet is the blanket covering him, and you just throw the pad away. I used them for years.

    ReplyDelete